As I posted in joomla forum about my plan to release my hack for community builder advanced search, here I will give some notes about how to enable and implement the hack. This hack is made for Community Builder Advanced Search 2.0.4 (which might be later adapted to work with the upcoming 2.0.5).
Before you proceed
Currently this component only works in Joomla 1.0.x. It’s not recommended to install this component on Joomla 1.5 unless you want to provide assistance in reporting bugs and compatibility of this component. Please read the full article here.
What’s this hack for?
This hack will enable search for members with certain age ranges, defined by user. This hack will also add extra filter to show only member with avatar / thumbnail photo.
Who will benefit from this hack?
Community based site’s owners and webmasters who use Community Builder to power their community-based service.
Short notice before you decide to implement this hack:
This hack is intended to work with simple_menu_2 mode. If you use other modes for the search, the search won’t take any effect from this modification.
About simple_menu_2 mode:
This mode is the one where you can put several search criteria (ie. predetermined fields). and filter the search based on user input to each field. To check if this mode is enabled, go to Components > Community Builder Advanced Search > Configuration and make sure “Allow Simple Menu 2” is set to “Yes”.
To enable this hack, please follow the instruction given below:
1. Download the modified component from this link: http://dev.amikelive.com/joomla1/component/ option,com_remository/Itemid,5/func,fileinfo/id,2/
2. Install the component using Joomla installer from admin backend
3. From your admin panel, go to Components > Community Builder Advanced Search > Configuration
4 Scroll down. Two new config sections will appear.
The first one is config directive for search by age interval. Enable this hack and manage the interval. For the birthday field, you need to first create the field through Community Builder and make sure your new user is forced to fill his/her birtday or s/he won’t be appeared on the search result page.
For the avatar only directive, no more configuration is needed. Enabling this hack is enough.
If you follow the steps properly, your search form will now be added with two new fields: the search by age interval and search by avatar/photo only.
Updates as of 08/14/2007:
- Extra sql string to check if avatar contains nophoto.jpg
- Tiny cosmetic change in the search template
- Sql error fix if “avatar only search” is enabled and user only checks that option and leaves other search criteria (if any) empty.
Updates as of 12/17/2007:
- Comment is now closed. Please refer to new post “Community Builder Advanced Search (Modified Version) Bugtrack and Wishlist” if you want to submit bug or request new features
- What to provide for a bug report:
- Current Joomla version
- Current Community Builder version
- Steps to replicate bug in details (#R)
- Online sample if I can not reproduce #R
- What to provide for a feature request:
- Reason for the request
- Who will take benefit from this additional feature
- Request details
Update as of 01/08/2008:
- Comment section reopened after considering some requests and inputs.
Please help me by providing input if you want to make this hack better.